26 January 2011

Wrong museum, Right museum. The hunt for the dinosaurs




In June 2010 on my last day in London, I wanted to visit the museum with the dinosaurs before heading to the airport. The problem was I thought the museum I was after was the British museum so off I went. The museum had only been open for around half an hour when I walked in and bought a map to find the way to go. The first clue that should have told me something was the fact the map never said there were dinosaurs, but I did want to see the Rosetta stone. After around and hour of wandering around the Egypt room with all the Egyptian stuff they had displayed along with a mummy or two, I looked at my guide and found that I was in fact in the wrong museum. The museum I should have gone to was the natural history museum. Obsessing whether I should go there or make my way to the airport, I just could not get the museum out of my head so I had to visit. 

There was a line waiting to get into the Natural History Museum, where they were doing bag checks before you went in. After my bag was checked I headed straight for the crowd who were in the dinosaur exhibit. I did stop and look at the dinosaur in the main foyer before I vanished. The dinosaurs were what I expected and this quieted my mind. A quick walk through was all I could manage before heading to the airport but I vowed that next time I would visit both museums for longer and I never did find the Rosetta Stone although I was in a hurry.



The British Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment