23 January 2011

Searching for family through Newspapers


Papers Past in New Zealand is an excellent resource to use in researching your family tree as it may show information you couldn’t find before or didn’t know. The time period for the newspapers that are digitised covers 1839 – 1945. Not all of New Zealand’s Newspapers are online. When I was looking for what an ancestor who came to New Zealand by ship I did not know which year even though I had at the time visited the Genealogy society in Auckland. This was the time I was searching due to him being on the electrol roll in 1886.

William Stickland Milverton came to New Zealand between 1885 and 1887 incoming port unknown so unsure whether he came via Australia or direct. The reason for knowing his travel is he didn’t appear in the 1885 electrol roll in NZ for Manuwatu area.

It was only through searching on the Papers Past website held by the National Library in New Zealand that I found the name of the ship. Below is what I found.

1886 11 June Otago Witness
S.S Doric (Captain J.W Jennings) from London on 22nd April and from Plymouth 24th April for New Zealand Direct. possably port of arrival Wellington
Mr and Mrs WS Milverton and family (6) in Third Class.


The Papers Past website is a fantastic resource for those who are researching their New Zealand Relatives as anything can be reported from Coroners reports to dealings with the local council.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad,
    Was delighted to find you reference to my great grandfather William Milverton and also great uncle Fred!

    Kind regards,
    Marlene Milverton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, I did recently find Fred did come to New zealand from America for the marriage of Amelia and John in 1904. He appears on their marriage certificate.

      I am glad you are enjoying what I have written so far.
      Brad

      Delete