05 January 2015

A Freemason Gabolinscy



A Freemason Gabolinscy


When I received the family book called Te Whanau o Hartley Gabolinscy written by Norris Gabolinscy there was one entry that did raise some interest, but I did not know very much about at the time. Other things took my time especially when you had to write down the names of the people all into a computer database that was a family tree program. That was time consuming in itself and I did have to make corrections due to incorrect dates, but that is another story.

One of the Gabolinscy’s I found had been a Freemason. Albert David Thomas Gabolinscy was not only a mason, but also well-known and had won trophies for making butter in New Zealand. I have found that the Masons are really common in New Zealand especially when you visit the many cemeteries in the country. I have read a book about New Zealand where they were mentioned, but cannot find where in the source so I will put the book down as a source and try to find it sometime soon. I don’t know if other family members were part of the Masons, but I did find a mention of a Brother Gabolinscy at the Masonic installation in 1898 in Papakura for  Lodge #56. I am going to make a guess as I know of one other Gabolinscy during that time and that would have most likely have been his grandfather, Albert from Germany. There is more to Albert’s story though I am only focusing on one small part.

Emailing the Freemasons were actually pretty easy and they were really great in emailing back with some information, which I was surprised about.  They provided me with some background information on Albert within the organisation. They did tell me I was also welcome to visit the Wellington Lodge when I was in New Zealand. I never did ask them if there were pictures of Albert, but I am guessing there would be other family members who have more information.

On the 8th of June 1931, Albert known to all within the Lodge as Brother Albert Gabolinscy entered as an apprentice where he was initiated into Lodge Otaihape #142. He was recorded as being a Buttermaker from Turua. He was passed to the second degree of Freemasonry (Fellowcraft) in Sir Walter Scott Lodge #15 on 21/4/1931 and was raised to the third degree (Master Mason) on 19/5/1931 in that same Lodge. He was a member of Otaihape from 10/3/1931 until 8/3/1932, a member of Sir Walter Scott Lodge from 21/6/1932 until 20/4/1966, and a member of Hamutana Lodge #437 from 15/12/1965 until his death on 15/3/1971. The highest position he filled in the Lodge was that of Junior Warden of Hamutana which he was invested as on 15/12/1965.  He would have filled this office for 1 year.   Junior Warden is two below the Master of the Lodge, the normal progression being Junior Warden then Senior Warden then Worshipful Master.

This on one such story you can find through research into family and there is always more to nut out or even shake a tree to see what does fall out of it. I do know however that Masons do have other objects including bags that they would have. I have seen one from a family friend who owns one as a family member of hers was a Mason in Australia. I am providing a taste or just a teaser of information that can be found on family members when you do some research. This is what puts the meat on the bones of research.

Sources
MASONIC INSTALLATION AT PAPAKURA. New Zealand Herald, 31 December 1898, Page 5.

Michael King, The Penguin History of New Zealand, Penguin Books, Auckland, 2003.

Norris Gabolinscy, Te Whanau O Hartley – Gabolinscy, family book.

Email correspondence from Wellington Freemason Lodge, 8/06/2007.

Futher information

Mens Clubs - Masons 

 New Zealand Freemasons

2 comments:

  1. Albert Gabolinscy was my Grandfather. I would be happy to provide more information and photos if you would like them.I remember him as a child,although he died young when I was 10 years old.

    Regards,
    Paul Gabolinscy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul
      Thank You for the reply. I would be interested in knowing more about Albert. Other than the Gabolinscy / Hartley book I havnt found much about him so far. You can get me on beadel87@yahoo.com.au.

      Thanks Brad

      Delete