18 April 2014

Family history books the essence of family research








Since I have started researching the family tree my collection of knowledge and records have grown since I have first started. I began with little information on all sides of the family. I have slowly gathered books that speak about the family or even talks about how people lived within the local area during the time family lived in that location. Since I began studying history in university I have learnt more about the social history than what I would have if I had not been studying and it has given me an appreciation for the work done by historians and the people themselves who lived in the many towns and cities around the world.

I seem to be suggested books about family members and the first book that I asked for a copy of was the Hartley / Gabolinscy book where upon receiving it I found the dates were somewhat out of order and incorrect, but I was happy to find the information myself to make sure everything was correct. It does take a while and the information I was correcting was the New Zealand stuff. It has given me plenty of information and I have seen other copies that were not photocopied and the pictures are so much clearer. Others have provided me with photographs in the past and I have some on my computer as well.

Within the last couple of days another family member asked me if I would like a book about the Hartley’s as the people in the book were related to the Hartley family of Kohukohu in the Hokianga region of New Zealand. I gladly said yes and after receiving the book found it had been a family branch that I had been researching, but finding that the surname of Jones is nearly impossible to research due to how common the name was. The book will help me piece together the information as it includes things I would never have found on my own. Something I will scan into my computer and put the book somewhere safe.

I have found a book at a local archive centre that was out of print and there was going to be no more print outs. This was in New Zealand several years ago and the funny part was I knew where to go for a copy that was still for sale as I had found the book, but thought for the price I would grab a cheaper one. Never worked out and I really do hope that it was the last copy anywhere. I guess it pays to keep eyes open to see what is around. Some of the older books in New Zealand on local history are helpful especially when they are being held in second hand bookstores.  My collection of New Zealand books will slowly grow and I will find where people have lived in the areas.

Another thing is as part of my own research I will write many of the stories from the records I have found. It is one reason why I keep blogs as I feel other family members would like to read them and I would have family find me. It seems so far that I have been found through my blogs and had messages sent to me asking me if I was the writer of the blogs and I have said I was. It does seem like this would be great as I am going to be blown away by what I collect from family who I have never met before. I do think it would be funny for people to realise that I am only in my early 30s and they might be expecting someone who is older and wiser. I just hope I don’t flood people with too much information and I do have to learn all about the oral history side eventually. The future is actually my oyster and I can go anywhere with that. I have already discovered old photos from another side of the family that I have bought over from New Zealand and were mentioned in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment