22 January 2011

Life of a Timber Mill Manager Cut Short



At around the time of 4am on the 19th of December in 1951, there was a double murder in the small New Zealand town of Minginui, near Rotorua. This event would play a part in New Zealand’s History
The Husband and wife were John and Marie Gabolinscy who were murdered for the payroll of 1,163 pounds, which was beside their bed. The money was the wages for Henderson and Pollard’s Timber mill in Minginui, sixty miles south east of Minginui. Their house had been left unlocked. There are two different stories about how the murder was discovered one version was in the book “Policing two peoples: A history of Police in the Bay of Plenty" by Jinty Rourke saying that the murder was discovered when cries from their fifteen month old son were investigated, who was now an orphan. But a newspaper article from the Rotorua Post Thursday Dec 20 1951 stating that people had noticed that John Gabolinscy hadn’t been seen, so on being instructed by an officer they searched the house finding the bodies. Although it does also say the same from about the child’s cries, but goes in depth about the discovery later in the article. Not much is known about young Hartley Gabolinscy after this event other than he stayed with his grandmother.
John Arthur Gabolinscy was born 18 October 1919 to Oscar Herman Gabolinscy and Mary Gabolinscy nee Jones at Kohukohu. John excelled at everything he did including becoming a scout leader when he was a kid. He did become an All Blacks Trialist when he was playing for Otahuhu.
 He worked throughout the North Island in Timber mills and the bush. When WWII broke out he enlisted and barely survived serving in the Middle East, where he was wounded when a bullet hit him above the heart, which paralyzed his arm. The injury took three years to recover from.
After his failed Timber mill business, he ended up as a mill manager for Henderson and Pollard. Around this period he had met and married Marie Elliot from Rotorua.
On the 19th of December Giovanni Silveo Fiori, a mill worker shot both John and Marie with John’s .303 rifle and took of with their truck which he later dumped. He was arrested 26 hours later since he left a trail of evidence which included a spending spree in Rororua buying a V8 Ford along with other things even being seen dropping money without bothering to pick it up. He was later arrested at his brother’s place in Otorohanga. He denied killing the two people in court, although he had said he had done it in his police statement. He was found guilty and was the first person in 17 years to be hung. He was hung on 13th march 1952 at Mount Eden Prison in Auckland. The newly elected National government had lifted the ban made by the Labour government, which was unfortunate for Fiori. When Labour came back into power they abolished capital punishment again
Not all people in everyone’s family history have happy endings some are victims in crime others are the perpetrators. These are the stories we find over time about peoples lives that others hush up and sweep under carpets, where family historians uncover them and air them out in excitement such as finding convicts who were sent to Australia or were destitute not swimming in large fortunes as once told. Some people once finding they have criminal elements in their family destroy their information in shame and walk away. As the saying goes you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family.

17 comments:

  1. Hi, this was great to find, and informative. Just would like to make one small correction. John's name was actually Jack Gabolinscy he was my grandfathers brother. :)
    thanks for this info it is nice that it is here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. The reason I used John and not Jack was due to his death certificate. I also have the coroners report from the murders as well.
    He was my Great grand uncle on my mothers side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I spoke to the son of John (Jack) and Marie Gabolinsky. His name is Hartley and he lives in Rotorua. I am his cousin. My email is nuska@ihug.co.nz if you want to contact me about his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say you don't know much about Jack Gabolinscy son young Hartlry. Following the murders my Uncle Len (Leonard) Ashworth and Aunty Tot (Irene Sylvia)Ashworth (maiden name Gabolinscy)Jack's sister adopted him. However his name is not Hartley but Gordon Trevor Ashworth.Where the Hartley comes from I don't know. You may contact me on email wsweetlove@xtra.co.nz

    Regards Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. No his name is Hartley, he was raised by his grandmother,on his mothers side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His name is certainly Hartley. He is my cousin.

    Paul Gabolinscy

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a awesome find. we just went to visit my partners mother and she brought out the newspaper article. she is related to jack (john) but not sure how. is anyone able to tell me if him and marie were buried and if so where.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hartley John Gabolinscy is on the birth certificate. Both Hartley and Gordon Trevor Ashworth are separate identities and another line of family members.

    They are buried in Rotorua general cemetery if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. His name is Hartley, I used to visit him and his Grandmother in Rotorua. My father (Chas Molesworth) was a friend of his father and mother (worked at same sawmill) and kept in touch with Hartley for years. I remember Hartley as something of a musician.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hartley is my only first cousin. My mother Pauline was Maris sister. Hartley was and still is a great musician. And I love him my name is Adrienne Hallyand I'm on Facebook if anyone wants to get hold of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely Hartley, he is my absent father!
    Realy wish i could of met my grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is my cousin, Jack was my uncle, any Tot adopted Gordon uncle
    Norris son

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hartley and Harley were 1st cousins . Harley son of Tot (ne Gabolinscy ) and Len Ashworth that lived in Taranaki.I am also a 1st cousin ,John named after Hartley`s father.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in Minginui. Have done for 35 or so years. Some one asked me about the murders. The people here that knew first hand are now gone and I can't remember all they told me. . So a bit of online research found this blog.
    A correction in the article. The mill was right across the road from the the managers house not some distance away.
    The house I live in was built in 1952 and is across the road from the house Fiori lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up in Rotorua in the 1970’s and my mother, who had lived in Rotorua since the 1940’s, related this story- probably when discussing the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe, which dominated at the time.

    ReplyDelete